This is the first year in 3 years that I am not on my way to the desert. I originally thought I would be fine, that it wouldn’t be a big deal at all, I would totally be able to handle it.
But…….NO. IN NO WAY, SHAPE, OR FORM AM I FINE.
I am sad and depressed and want to cry every time I see someone Instagram a stupid picture of the palm trees in the desert. I am HEARTBROKEN.
To help me cope with the stabbing pain in my heart, I decided to making it even harder for myself (because you’ve got to hit bottom before you can move on right?) and compile a list of my favorite things about Coachella-ella-ella-eh-eh-eh.
- The 10+ hours of music every day. There is no way to describe how awesome that is. It’s what I imagine heaven will be like. Rocking out at all hours of the day and night.
- The day drinking. Because everyone loves dancing around, having a beer, playing stupid games like horseshoe and bean bag toss and laughing with their friends in the desert.
- The turkey sandwiches from this one food stand that I can’t even remember the name of. But it was seriously the most amazing sandwich I’ve ever had in my life. IN MY LIFE. I thought maybe I was just excited when I ate one in 2011 because it was my first Coachella and everything about the festival was mind blowing but I verified it’s amazing delicious powers at the 2012 Coachella when I experienced it again. Still just as good a year later.
- The fact that you can nap on the grass at the polo grounds in the middle of the day and then wake up and go to a set. Naps in the sun and music, two of my favorite things.
- All of the cool, gigantic, artsy architecture things that are at the polo grounds. They’re so cool.
- You seriously make friends with anyone and everyone. My first Coachella we made friends with both of our camping neighbors. On one side were a group of guys who cooked us breakfast a few mornings because they brought so much and the other side was a group of guys from Princeton who gave us steak for lunch. We hit the jackpot. (Considering all we had brought was PB&J sandwiches like idiots.)
- But my all time favorite thing about Coachella? Dressing up like a flower child for three entire days. It’s the one time of the year when I fully embrace my hippie side and channel my inner Stevie Nicks. It’s the BEST. THE BEST.
The amazing thing about music festivals is that you’re able to camp out for artists like Mumford & Sons or Foster The People or Florence & The Machine and be so damn close to them. You can dance like you don’t care about anything at all and everyone around you is doing the same thing because you’re all there for the same reason. I really can’t explain it but it’s kind of a life changing concert experience. Everyone is there for three days and you’re all there for the same thing. It’s like this really intense bond you have with thousands of other people.
Coachella-la-la I miss you already. To honor your memory, here are some of my favorite Coachella moments. It’s painful to look at them knowing I’m not in Indio taking new photos but frankly, it’s all I have to hold onto for now. So I will stare at them and try not to cry.
(BUT if anyone has a place to stay in the desert, wristbands for weekend 2 are DIRT CHEAP right now on Stubhub and I’m not saying anything for sure but I would highly consider buying a ticket if someone housed me. Just saying. So someone call me maybe yeah?)
(OR if anyone just happens to have an extra wristband I will gladly take it off your hands. I don’t have a bag already packed for the desert or anything. I swear I don’t. I don’t okay.)
(But I might.)