I used to listen to the Beach Boys’ “Would It Be Nice” all the time (plus it played through Disneyland’s California Adventure every 5 minutes which was amazing.) It’s such a fun, summery, California vibey song which is right up my alley. I would scream the lyrics at the top of my lungs because I truly believed they were true. It’s going to be so nice when I’m older. There isn’t going to be a single thing I can’t do. Anything I want to do, when I want to do it.
But sometimes I have second thoughts about what the Beach Boys told me. Granted I know I’m not that old but I’m certainly no longer at liberty to do some of the things I used to when I was a kid. No sleeping in for forever, no getting money from Mom to go to the mall, no free meals all the time. So I’ve made a little column of things that I miss from being a kid and another for the things that I get to do as an “adult.” (Side note: if anyone knows what the word “adult” actually means, please let me know.) But maybe, just maybe the Beach Boys did get it right after all.
I Don’t Wanna Grow Up
- The word “responsibility” had no meaning. You could get out of anything by saying “oops I didn’t know, I’m just a kid.”
- No waking up early.
- Finger painting was highly encouraged. Getting it on your face was also encouraged.
- Cheetos was considered a full meal.
- Laundry? No thanks.
- Still banked at BOD. Bank of Dad.
- One job. Trade Pokemon cards.
- No being yelled at for laying on the couch and watching TV for 7 hours straight.
- Bills? What are those?
Free To Do What I Want, When I Want
- Being able to buy wine.
- Staying up all night till the sun.
- The freedom to get up and go wherever I want at the drop of a pin. (New York in 27 days)
- Newfound appreciation of the 15th and 30th of every month. Pay day baby.
- Newfound appreciation of Fridays and the term TGIF (which I have never said in my life until approximately 2 months ago.)
- Living on my own. No one yells at me for having a messy apartment.
- Having pride in accomplishing the dumbest things. Like not popping an over easy egg.
- “I want pink hair”…… “Okay I’m going to do it”
- Being able to make my own decisions. About everything.