This upcoming weekend marks the last weekend of summer. But since I live in Southern California that isn’t necessarily true since we kind of live in this bubble of an endless summer where the weather in constantly amazing. So when I talk about autumn I’m actually still talking about 65 degrees (which is cold for my SoCal adjusted blood stream OKAY).
Usually I dread the end of summer because it means school is starting again. But funny thing about that, this year I don’t go back to school. For the first time in 18 years. 18 years. I’m still having a little bit of a hard time adjusting to that fact. It’s weird but the grown up world doesn’t give you a break (which is very tragic when you think about it) so the end of summer doesn’t mean much to me other than the official end short work Fridays (which I will mourn, believe me). I’m going to try and stay positive about the end of summer where as I usually get a bit depressed. To help with that, I’m going to make a list of why I’m excited for autumn.
- BOOTS. BOOTS. BOOTS. It is finally officially boot weather (even though I never stopped wearing them in the first place).
- Peppermint mochas at Starbucks.
- Drinking hot tea and not feeling like you have a hot flash every 18 seconds.
- Peacoats (even though I won’t be able to wear one here until late November).
- Sweater headbands. I love them.
- Boots. Long boots, short boots, combat boots, riding boots, studded boots. Boots.
- All of the fruit that comes back into season in fall.
- Tons and tons of candles.
- The smell of cinnamon and pumpkin.
- The return of all my TV shows.
- Did I already say boot? Because BOOTS.
Though the only pumpkin I enjoy during autumn is the actual smell of pumpkin, I know that’s a biggie for many people out there. I’m much more of a peppermint girl and try to score the bark and mochas early if I can. I know none of these pictures look like my California autumn, but I like to pretend that I’m there instead of here sometimes because I think it would be nice to experience a real autumn, even if I’m complaining about how frozen my fingers, toes and nose are the entire time.