Today is December 31, 2014. We are currently in the last few hours of 2014. The last few hours of “what did I even do this year and why did it go so fast.” As I get older, the years go by faster. I’ve slowly come to realize that small fact isn’t as fun as 8 year old Sarah imagined it being. I want time to go extra slowly throughout my 20’s. I want to enjoy this weird chaos and constant state of unknown (as painful as it sometimes is) because I know it’s never going to be exactly like this ever again.
This year was an interesting one. I transitioned from 22 to 23 (the last year of being a baby adult), I held the same job for the entire year, I saw my favorite band twice in one week (STEVIEEEEE), I handled a lot of adult like responsibilities on my own and I also bought a lot of new socks. As lovely and weird as 2014 could be at times, I am more than ready to start 2015. I haven’t felt this settled in my home, work, and personal life probably ever. I finally feel that for the most part, I can stand on my own two feet and handle a lot of things that get thrown at me. As much as I would say that in the past five years, it hasn’t necessarily been true but now I finally like slightly less of a liar about it.
Here are a few lists because I love making lists. Also they make me feel like I can compartmentalize/organize my brain which in turn makes me feel just a tiny bit more sane.
“Adult” things I’ve done this year
- Bought a new car (HELLO THIS IS A HUGE DEAL)
- Bought a new laptop (HELLO THIS IS ALSO A HUGE DEAL)
- Cancelled my cable
- Managed to set up a new router and not destroy the internet in my apartment
- Successfully cook banana bread on more than one occasion
- Bought a new vacuum and actually used it more than five times
Sarah things I’ve done this year
- Saw Fleetwood Mac/Gypsy Mother Stevie Nicks TWICE in one week
- Proud owner of 7+ kimonos
- Learned how to make dreamcatchers
- Proud owner of crystals for healing, meditating and spiritual learning
- Read lots of new fiction and poetry books
- Completed my self given Phoenix writing project on time and was very very proud with the outcome and actual completion of a long-term project
- Brave enough to show others things that I’ve written aka making baby baby baby strides to get over my self-consciousness about writing
- Bought 14+ new pairs of socks because I love new socks
- Done things not because I had to and not because someone told me to, but purely because they make me happy
This is me in the last week of 2014. I hope next year brings a lot more photos like this one because in this exact moment, I was so happy to be exactly where I was. I was so happy just being present.