It’s way past overdue that this little blog baby gets a facelift, and why not do it to ring in the new year?
I hope it’s still somewhat easy to read with the new format, I looked at a lot of different layouts (approximately 23 minutes worth of looking, THAT IS A LONG TIME) and finally decided on this one. I also caved and spent a little bit of extra money so I could customize fonts and colors and all those little annoying details that have been driving me up the wall for going on fourteen months now. It’s finally happening people, I’m finally going that extra mile. Fourteen months later.
Tomorrow marks the start of 2014. That’s “twenty fourteen” or “two thousand fourteen” or “how the fuck did another year go by.” I read something crazy online the other day that said we are now closer to 2017 than we are to 2007. It absolutely blew my mind. TWO THOUSAND AND SEVENTEEN?? 2007 seems like it was just a few weeks ago and 2017 seems completely unattainable. I don’t want to sound like an 87 year old grandma, but time truly does fly.
Looking back at my year, I did a lot of things. I made a small list (because you know I couldn’t resist – and that rhymed – I’m hilarious I know) of some of my favorite moments from the past twelve months and also compiled some of my favorite pictures. Here’s to a bright and shiny new year where possibilities roam endlessly, dreams grow higher and love knows no bounds.
- I officially graduated college. Meaning I walked in the ceremony where they gave me my empty case for my very expensive piece of paper – I mean my college degree.
- I got a job. A big girl job. A job where I work 9 to 5 like Dolly Parton told me to.
- My parents celebrated their 30th wedding anniversary and reminded me that it is actually possible to love and put up with someone for three decades.
- I went to New York to visit one of my best friends and had one of the best 4 day weekends of my life.
- I also sent off another one of my best friends as she embarked on the next chapter of her life in Australia.
- I moved in with yet another one of my best friends. It’s been nothing short of awesome.
- I saw Stevie Nicks (THE STEVIE NICKS) and Fleetwood Mac – one of my heroes and my favorite band – live at the Hollywood Bowl. It was the greatest show of my life. Seriously, the greatest live show I’ve ever ever ever seen. Living legends.
- I turned 22. And still continue to sing the Taylor Swift song every chance I get.
- I think most importantly out of the whole entire year, I learned a lot about myself which is actually the most important thing a young 20-something can do. We all have to figure out how to who we are and what we’re made of and then we can figure out how we can change the world – maybe even in 2014.
Okay. I think I have finally recovered enough to talk about Beyonce’s halftime show. On Sunday when it aired I was in hysterics screaming FLAWLESS every five seconds. Later that night I rewatched the performance another 2 times. Then Monday I tried to get a grip but watched the performance another 7 times.
Actually let’s be honest I’m still not over it. I MEAN COME ON SHE’S THE QUEEN AND SHE HAS FINALLY RETURNED. I’m going to try to somewhat (but not really) contain myself and do a live word vomit breakdown of her performance because it was that incredible. It’s kind of long but I regret nothing.
- She kicks it off with a giant light cutout of herself. SASHA FIERCE IS IN THE ARENA.
- Then she starts with
Countdown (edit: it’s actually Love On Top. I was freaking out so much I didn’t even notice I typed it wrong) and her vocals are FLAWLESS.
- We have the infamous Queen Bey strut and BOOM CRAZY IN LOVE (my all time fave.)
- HAIR FLIP. FLAWLESS.
- Every woman will now take yoga to be able to kick like that. Bless you Beyonce.
bitches backup dancers have arrived.
- I would have given my first born for that jacket she threw into the crowd.
- THOSE LACE SHORTS ARE MY EVERYTHING.
- That guitar. I mean can you be anymore badass. The guitar player is like “only for you my Queen.”
- OH MY GOD THE FINGER LICK. EVERYONE IS DECEASED.
- Mental note: I really need to work on my hair flip.
- “Let’s work” said Beyonce on the 8th day of creation. As so it was. And so it shall be.
- OH MY GOD TILL THE END OF TIME. YES QUEEN BEY.
- No one would ever let Bey go let’s be real.
- SO. MANY. BEYONCES. IS THIS REAL LIFE.
Baby Boy Beyonce you’ve been on my mind.
- The fact that she does all of these hair flips in heels should garner it’s own award. Someone make that happen. The trophy can be a golden weave.
- OH SHIT KELLY AND MICHELLE. CAN YOU HANDLE THIS.
- It’s my life dream for Beyonce to call out “SARAH, CAN YOU HANDLE THIS?”
- Their harmonies I am CRYING. SO BEAUTIFUL. THE TRIFECTA.
- INDEPENDENT WOMEN THROW YOUR HANDS UP IN THE AIR.
- Michelle looks slightly uncomfortable. As anyone would when trying to perform alongside the Queen.
- CHARLIE’S ANGELS REFERENCE I AM SO DONE.
- Single Ladies. THE QUEEN IN HER ELEMENT.
- I wonder how long it took Kelly and Michelle to learn the choreo for Single Ladies. (Actually Michelle probably fangirled when it originally came out let’s be honest.)
- GOD QUEEN BEY’S SOLO DANCING I CANNOT BREATHE. FLAWLESS. She doesn’t even need her backup she’s like “MOVE I GOT THIS.”
- Holy shit she’s totally solo for Halo. Shit is getting REAL.
- THOSE PEOPLE WHO GOT TO TOUCH THE QUEENS HAIR AND HOLD HER HAND YOU BETTER NEVER WASH. YOU HAVE BEEN BLESSED.
- HER VOCALS. You get it Queen Bey. YOU GET IT AND SHOW THEM ALL.
- Literally crying at the vocals at this point. Actual tears I kid you not.
- “Thank you for this moment” no Queen Bey, thank you for returning and bestowing a new era upon us.
Final thoughts: 1) Someone should make a workout class based solely on this choreography. I’m convinced you would burn 2000 calories. 2) Everyone else needs to step the f*** down from the throne because the Queen is back. 3) Beyonce is everything.
Watch the full performance here.
I hate New Years Resolutions. Every year I try to make them, I end up forgetting what they were by the third week of January. This year I’m going to cut my losses and instead make a list of things nice things I would like to do in 2013. No pressure to keep to a resolution, it’s more of like a wishful thinking type of list.
- Buy more vinyl at flea markets.
- Wear more jewelry and refer to it as “my jewelz.”
- Start incorporating “cheeky” into everyday vocabulary because it’s an awesome word. (“Cheeky” the British version, as in another word for sassy/inappropriate.)
- Go to another taping of Ellen and tell her how much I love her.
- Go to Coachella because it is the most magical weekend of the year and I get to pretend to be a flower child.
- Write handwritten letters because who doesn’t like getting real letters in the mail?
- Drink more tea. And coffee.
- Learn how to make fun and fancy cocktails.
- Write more.
- Sing T.Swift’s “22” the entire month of May. Because I’m turning 22 and it’s the right thing to do.
- BONUS: Head to Vegas (at least once) to celebrate being a college graduate properly. I can see it now, “The Hangover: The Graduate Edition.”