This weekend I vowed to do only what I wanted. I was going to be selfish, and I was going to enjoy it very much. The past few weekends I’ve been running around here, there, everywhere you could possibly think of. So this weekend, all I wanted to do was stay in LA, go to the beach and be outside. So I did.
Saturday I did the Malibu waterfall hike with a friend. Let me tell you, it kind of turned into a rock climbing excursion (at least in my eyes) because we had to SCALE ROCKS. Who knew that even existed in Malibu? But I made it out alive. Oh and the waterfall? Not much of a waterfall, at least at this time of year. It kind of looked like someone poured a water bottle out and let it trickle down the cliff. Cool stuff let me tell you. After hiking we went to brunch at Kristy’s and then laid out at Zuma for almost 3 hours. It was lovely.
Sunday, my roommate and I walked over to City Walk and watched Despicable Me 2. I’m not usually a huge animated movie fan but for some reason I think those minions are the cutest thing to ever be brought to life. Kudos to their designer because I just can’t get enough of them. I got to eat Red Vines and giggle along with the rest of the 5 year olds in the theater for a solid two hours. Also, this happened. The only thing I’m sorry about is that I couldn’t take my life size cutout of Harry Styles home with me.
I spent the rest of the day running errands and listening to vinyl. Then I suddenly had the urge to make a change in the apartment. My roommate and I had previously talked about putting twinkle lights up and with my sudden revelation last week about creating a more creative space I thought, why not? So I did. This is how they turned out. I’m kind of in love with it. Because sometimes to make sense of anything at all, you have to hang twinkle lights.
So I finally got my hair cut. And I now have bangs. Not the bangs I was intending to have, but for the good of everyone who looks at me, the bangs that look best on my little face. I originally went into the salon dead set on a mixture between Taylor Swift and Zooey Deschanel bangs. But then my stylist Chanel (who is absolutely a gift from the heavens) told me that she would do whatever I wanted, but she advised against the blunt bangs because my forehead is a little on the smaller side. I completely trust her so I decided against it and I am so glad I did. Instead, I went with side bangs and I love them. If any of you need a haircut, I recommend Chanel at Crowning Glory Hair Salon in NoHo. I can’t rave enough about her. She’s also the one who did my ombre and pink hair last summer.
I got bangs. So now I’m Bangin’.
This weekend I felt a little out of my normal headspace. But luckily my telepathy was working and one of best friends was here with me for 3 straight days and I didn’t have to think about it that much. Instead, we did things that kept us otherwise occupied like….
- Hit up Zuma Beach in Malibu. It was my first time at the ‘Bu and let me tell you it might be my new favorite LA beach. So much cleaner than SaMo, not packed and FREE PARKING CAN I GET AN AMEN.
- Ate at Aroma Cafe on Tujunga and saw the guy from the show Castle and Steve the Pirate from Dodgeball. Dodgeball is one of my favorite movies of all time and for 2 hours after lunch all I kept saying was “I can’t believe that was Steve the Pirate. I can’t believe it.”
- Celebrated National Grilled Cheese Day on Friday by going to The Counter on Ventura and ordering “The Killer.” It was amazing. Thank you to the human who dedicated an entire day to grilled cheese.
- Found a pair of wedges for graduation at the Mecca in Burbank (aka TJ Maxx/Marshalls/Nordstrom Rack/Target.) T-minus one month until I walk across the stage and take my long awaited photo with President Doti.
- Taught Haylie the cup song. We discovered it works perfectly with an old school Britney Spears song as well. I won’t tell you which one because I’m convinced once we record it and put it on YouTube it’s only a matter of time before Ellen gives me a call.
- Spent quality time with some of my favorite girl friends on Saturday night. Dancing, laughing, singing and what my headache the next morning told me was too much wine. It was some of the most fun I’ve had in a long while.
- Finally made a Vine! I’m still trying to decide if it’s the best or worst thing to ever happen to me. Best because it’s hilarious, worst because videos expose more of yourself to the Internet world. People can actually hear your stupid remarks through videos, that was the one thing that I didn’t have to worry about with Instagram. If you want to stalk my little 6 second videos just search my name. I jumped the gun early enough to snag my full name before someone else did. Sucks to suck other Sarah’s.