Last year I made two lists for Thanksgiving, one that was a Sarah Thankful list, the other a Serious Thankful List. This year I will be doing the same. I hope everyone is watching the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade followed by my favorite thing in the world, the ugly dog show. Eat, drink and be merry everyone. Oh, and give thanks. That would be nice too.
- My vinyl player. That thing is a gift from the gods.
- Jetta. Thank you for never failing me and accepting me singing terrible pop songs at the top of my lungs.
- DVR. Thank you for holding so many treasures within your magical box.
- Etsy. Thank you for changing my life and bringing me the mugs that will deliver me into the promised land.
- Yerba Mate tea. Thanks for waking my ass up in the morning.
- Oprah. Because she’s OPRAH and everyone should be grateful that she has blessed us with her presence.
- Spotify. Thank you for getting me through the work days.
- Thick socks. Because I’m freezing my ass of at home. Thank you socks.
- Contacts. Thanks for making me not blind.
- Tumblr. Thank you for providing me with endless laughs and entertainment. Even though in actuality I’m probably laughing at jokes made by 15 year olds.
- Netflix. Thank you for being my best friend during Funemployment.
- The SF Giants. Thanks for giving me something to love and believe in during sports season.
- Hair dye. Thanks for being there for me when I want to do something impulsive but not too drastic.
- All of the blogs I read on the daily, especially Buzzfeed. Thank you for getting me through the mornings, afternoons and early evenings at the office.
- My leather journal. Thank you for being home to many, many of my words.
- Mama, Dad and Little Brother. You guys are my everything. I’m so happy to be home with you this weekend. Jarod – I’m ready to kick you ass at Scrabble.
- My beautiful kitty Bella for being so cuddly.
- My best friends. You all know who you are, thank you for being in my life and accepting me – horrible jokes and all.
- The little voice in my head that has returned to me and continuously tells me to write, write, write. Even if it is a giant pile of shit.
- The way life has turned out in the past year. Even reading my Thankful List from last year I can see how much has changed – for the better.
- This blog. Thanks for being the one stable relationship in my life the past year. I love you word vomit.
This weekend went by far too quickly. I spent most of my time celebrating a friend’s 24th birthday and the rest of the time being a lazy bum and having a 7 hour date with my DVR. The only other thing I did was dye my hair. Nothing too drastic, it’s just a 30 day washout color. Dark brown with a little bit of red that comes out in the sunlight.
The highlight of my weekend was going to breakfast with my roommate on Sunday morning. We branched out and tried this place called Crave in Studio City – it’s probably my new favorite breakfast spot. I’m never one for sweets in the morning but for some reason I was craving french toast (haha craving, get it GET IT) and it turned out to be one of the most delicious meals of my life.
In other news, I’m trying to mentally prepare my stomach this week for Thanksgiving festivities. My mindset when going home is to eat everything in sight, so this week I’m going to try to detox and yoga as much as possible before that happens. I also have to brush up on my vocabulary to up my Scrabble game against my little brother. I’m coming for you bro bro.
The spread. “Go big, we’re already home.”
Being home is always a treat. When my family is reunited as a little unit, there is never a shortage of sassy comments. Time together basically turns into a game of who can get away with saying the most shit about the others before getting in trouble (and possibly slapped.) Below are some photos and a list of some of my memorable moments this Turkey day weekend.
Chopping the tree // A wreath made of shogun shells
Hanging lights on a 15 foot tree // Striking a pose on the Christmas tree lot
- “Wanna hear something funny? Wipe that ass boyyyy” – my 4 year old cousin.
- My mother convincing the Christmas tree farm to give us $70 off our 15 foot tree purchase. (Yes, 15 foot tree.)
- I may have dropped the entire container of mashed potatoes in the garage on leftover day. #partyfoul
- My brother stealing my pillow and blankets from the couch 3 times in 1 hour. He’s finally seeking revenge for the past 16 years now that he’s a giant.
- “Taking a picture with Rudolph? Ain’t nobody got time for that mom” – Brother
- My father pulling into a no parking spot, then a handicap spot, then a normal parking spot. The lot was empty.
- Mom nixing my red lipstick because we were going on a public outing and it seemed too flashy for the common folk.
- I napped at 6pm on Thanksgiving day after eating dinner. Then napped at 1pm on leftover day after eating lunch.
- Going to a family friends house and having 3 people ask me, “So why are you home?”
- My cousin got engaged! After 15 years of being together the beautiful couple is finally tying the knot. Congratulations to them, I can’t wait for the family rager this summer.
Token picture of my cat Bella taking a casual afternoon nap.
To read more of my family moments from the past week, you can read my tweets here.